Re: mkpasswd -l and mkgroup -l results: [1722]: The RPC server is unavailable

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:12, Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 00:58, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Jan 30 22:39, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
>>> Hi;
>>>
>>> mkpasswd -l /etc/passwd and mkgroup -l /etc/group results: [1722]: The
>>> RPC server is unavailable
>>
>> The User's Guide may help:
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkgroup
>> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd
>>
>> Try `mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd'. ?Otherwise /etc/passwd is treated as
>> argument to the -l option.
>>
>>> Is this a result of Cygwin not being formally supported for 64-bit WIndows?
>>
>> Who on earth told you that? ?See http://cygwin.com/
>>

>> Corinna
>>

> ?Oh my! ?:-)
>
> ?My vision is really getting bad! ?I did not see that I missed the redirection.
>
> ?Thank you for the gentle correction; it works fine now.
>
> ?Sorry for the noise.
>
> Ken

Update:

Starting the mintty shelll again I get the same message suggesting
running the mkpasswd and mkgroup.

I do the command without the -d and everything seems to work.

mkpasswd -l > /.etc/passwd; mkgroup -l > /etc/group

I exit the shell and start mintty again and the warning appears again
suggesting the running of mkpasswd and mkgroup.

Why doesn't the change persist?

Is cygcheck output needed now?

At another time I tried adding the -d option because I was vpn'd in to
work, but I killed it because there was no change to the /etc/group
file after several hours.

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott