Re: Documentation on -mno-cygwin Accuracy

On Feb  7 14:10, carolus wrote:
> On 2/7/2012 1:51 PM, Tim Prince wrote:
> >On 2/6/2012 2:29 PM, Charles D. Russell wrote:
> >
> >>i686-w64-mingw32-gfortran.exe hello.f -o hello
> >>
> >>cdr@dell03 ~/mingtest
> >>$ ./hello
> >>/home/cdr/mingtest/hello.exe: error while loading shared libraries:
> >>libgfortran-
> >>3.dll: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> >>

> >The cygwin distribution of mingw puts the support dlls in their own
> >directories. You must act yourself to get them on PATH. This is a
> >consequence of their not being cygwin compilers and giving you a mongrel
> >combination of cygwin and Windows setup. However, cygwin provides useful
> >tools like find and export:
> >export PATH=/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/bin/:$PATH
> >

> The old -mno-cygwin yielded a standalone executable that I could
> give to a colleague and it would "just work"  on a Windows machine
> without cygwin.  It appears that now one must bundle at least one
> dll.  From a licensing standpoint, are these dll's any different
> from cygwin1.dll? Can they be distributed freely without bundling
> the source code?

There's the usual misconception about the GPL.  If you create an
application which is linked against the Cygwin DLL (or any other GPLed
library), but you only use the application in-house, there's no reason
at all to distribute the source code to your collegues.  If one of them
really wants it, he can always ask you, right?  Only if you provide the
binaries to customers or to the world in some way, you are supposed to
provide the sources codes as well in a GPL-compatible way.

Corinna

Red Hat