newbie: cygwin initial usage crashes machine

cygwin newbie. This is going to seem very low-key compared with the
level of posts I see here but would really appreciate some help with a
few things just to get started pls. I have checked the FAQ and lists but
they are too advanced for where I am right now with cygwin.

I  installed cygwin( CYGWIN_NT-5.1)without any problems at all. Clicked
the Win desktop icon and the up came the Window and bash prompt.
However I then tried:-

find / -name “*.c” –print  (and again later with –type  f argument)
This ran, found a few .c files but continued running for a very long
time – longer that expected. Even from / I though it seem too long.
Many files appeared seemingly (from the displayed path name) as
“registry-type” (UUID’s in pathname)  under  /proc.   The machine
eventually crashed!  I do mean the machine   itself btw and not just
cygwin.

The PC is running Win XP sp3 on a FOXCON mobo with 4Gb installed Crucial
ram (passed by memtst).

The disc layout is “unconventional”. For historic reasons,  the boot
partition is on F: and the system partition on C:   This F: partition is
in fact a logical partition residing in an extended partition. Cygwin is
installed in F:\cygwin

I later tried running vi and that hung within the cygwin terminal window
– but I think maybe that is because  not one of the installed programs
as I cannot find the vi exe anywhere. I would though have expected a
“not found” error. (And using “find” to find it crashes!).

I tried
“which vi” and that gave /bin/vi

Finally, I just tried running “ed!” and got this:-
$ ed
      1 [main] -bash 1580! _pinfo::dup_proc_pipe: something failed for
pid 0: re

                      s 1580, hProcess 0x6E1, wr_proc_pipe 0x758 vs.
0x758, Win32 error 6

I’d like to use cygwin – can someone pls help?
thanks