Re: Can't edit crontab

On 2012-02-16, Emlio wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm using cygwin in order to use cron under an XP machine. When I run
> the command
>
> $ crontab -e
>
> I get a vi (vim?) editor, but I'm not able to use it propertly. After
> pressing "insert" the keyboard doesn't work properly. For example, if I
> press the arrows I get characters such as A, B, C... the backspace key
> doesn't work, and writing a cron line becomes a really hard (impossible)
> task.

If you would really rather use nano, then ignore the rest of this.

This looks like a mismatch between the capabilities of your terminal
and what Vim thinks those capabilities are, usually caused by TERM
being set to the wrong value for the terminal being used.

What terminal are you using?  The Windows Console?  Cygwin's mintty?

What is the value of TERM?

    $ echo $TERM

What version of vi or Vim are you using?  Within the editor, execute

    :version

and see what the first four lines say.

Regards,
Gary