Re: Issues with stdio.h

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 04:57:20PM -0600, Robert Miles wrote:
>On 2/20/2012 4:12 PM, JonY wrote:

>>> I think it's a weird setup that an include file referred from
>>> /usr/include is not found in that location but well hidden in
>>> installation-specific directories. Not the usual setup anyway. Also
>>> uncomfortable for people who want to check include files manually.
>>> Please consider to change this (gcc maintainer?).
>>> Thomas
>>>
>> So how are you supposed to use headers provided by the compiler anyway
>> without going into that compiler specific directory?
>>
>Why not put a stddef.h file into /user/include that includes comments
>showing where to find the compiler-specific stddef.h files?  And if
>putting it there makes the compiler try to use it instead of the
>compiler-specific one, also add the code needed to tell the compiler to
>include the compiler-specific one, after checking which compiler is
>currently in use.

It appears that we have a few here who are not familiar with Linux
and/or gcc.  That's not terribly surprising but if you're not familiar
with the way gcc lays things out then this is really not the place to
express consternation.  If we *didn't* set things up like Linux that
would actually be a bug.

So, no, we're not going to include versions of gcc's header files in
/usr/include because that's where you want to look for things.  You can
see the directories that gcc searches by adding a '-v' to your compile
line.  The include search path that is then printed will be your clue
for where to look for header files.