Re: Query about how to get 'full' Cygwin/unix support

On 03/28/2012 02:07 PM, AngusC wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am using cygwin and have copied the core cygwin files to a folder called
> binarytools on my Windows PC.  This folder is first item in path env
> variable.
>
> When I run make it has commands to do a mkdir -p <foldername>
>
> But mkdir -p myfolder creates a folder called -p and also a folder called
> myfolder???
>
> Why the strange behaviour?  How would I get the standard unix behaviour?

Probably because you used cmd's builtin 'mkdir' (which doesn't
understand -p) rather than actually invoking /bin/mkdir (of course,
since you are running in cmd, that would be spelled
c:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mkdir).

Why are you using cmd in the first place?  Cygwin also provides 'bash'
as a shell, and bash doesn't have a broken builtin mkdir like cmd does.