RE: 1.7.13/1.7.14: Issue with command prompt not returning when forking process

Hi,

The issue I'm raising in here may be related to this post: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-05/msg00081.html
It is the first time I read that something may have changed in this area. This is to me unexpected and it caused us quite some debugging to find out as the relation between the updated kernel release due to installation of new packages and the appearance of the issue were not so obvious.

The example I'm providing in this post is a much simplified version of the actual application. In our application the Launcher (L) process is called from a script and the exit code of the process is needed to determine the next step. Since L never returns until the forked process (S) terminates the exit code will not be available. So running L as a background process doesn't help here.

I also noticed the difference in behaviour between Cygwin and Linux and since it is Cygwin's intention to provide a Linux look and feel on a Windows environment, I wondering if it is meant to be like this. More over: In the 1.7.10 release the behaviour was still identical to Linux.

If the statement in the other post remains, I'm wondering whether it would be possible to make the old-behaviour available e.g. by means of a registry key?

To get back to Earnie's reply, using 'run' makes no difference at all (i.e. it suffers from the exact same issue):

Kernel release 1.7.9 (no delay):
$ date; run java Launcher; date
Fri May  4 16:37:14 WEDT 2012
Fri May  4 16:37:14 WEDT 2012