nohup...ampersand behaviour

I'm not sure when it started, but I've noticed that the parents of processes
that have been nohup'd and ampersanded into the background hang after 'exit'
until their children go away. I'm aware of the interactive shell's prompt
warning about background processes running, but I've never had processes
wait unconditionally until after their children are gone if the children are
nohup'd and ampersanded.

Come to think of it, I had a child die when it's parent was interrupted
with ctrl-c. Anybody have any idea. This finally became too irritating to
ignore, since I like to have a real mess of windows floating around.

Charles Stepp