Re: Someone is pretending to be some Cygwin's support

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:30:49AM -0700, Daniel Colascione wrote:
>On 5/14/12 11:12 AM, Ken Jackson wrote:
>> ==== Mon, May 14, 2012 at 01:46PM -0400 LMH wrote:
>>> As an aside, I've wondered for some time why this group is a mailing
>>> list and not a vBulletin type forum.
>>
>> I second the motion.
>
>No.
>
>Mailing lists are infinitely easier to filter, archive, and read. I
>have my choice of client. Email supports cryptographic authentication.
>Really, the "forum" model is a humongous step backward from the state
>of the art of the 1980s.
>
>No, please, let's stick with email. If you'd rather access the list
>using a forum-style interface, consider gmane. (Note that you can
>access an email list as a "forum", but not a "forum" as an email list.)

Don't worry, I'm not going to go to the effort involved in making a
"forum".  We get people who spam bugzilla *all* *of* *the* *time*.  Why
would a forum be any different?  It's even harder to police because you
need something different than the spam machinery which keeps the mailing
lists at this site relatively spam free.  Maintain two distinct
spam-blocking mechanisms?  I don't think so.

So, I don't see any benefit but, even if I did, I wouldn't be inclined
to add this infrastructure to sourceware.org just for Cygwin.

Also, as most readers of this list know, there is no "voting" here so
"second"ing something is just adding more noise to this mailing list.