Re: "emacs -nw" hangs in a terminal

Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> writes:

> On 5/14/2012 8:29 AM, Ken Jackson wrote:
>> Recently, emacs in a terminal started hanging:
>>
>>    /usr/bin/emacs -nw --no-init-file --no-site-file
>>
>> I had to kill it from another terminal window.
>>
>> But I noticed /usr/bin/emacs points through alternatives to
>> /usr/bin/emacs-X11, so I started calling  /usr/bin/emacs-nox
>> directly.  (Actually I modified my emn script.)  This solves
>> the problem for me.
>>
>> But "emacs -nw" has worked forever until very recently.
>
> This is a known problem with emacs-23 and glib >= 2.31:
>
>   http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9754
>
> I guess the problem just showed up on Cygwin a few days ago because of
> the recent update of the GNOME libraries.  And I didn't notice it
> myself because I've been using emacs-24, which doesn't have the
> problem.
>
> I'll prepare an update ASAP with a fix.  In the meantime, you can
> continue with your workaround of calling emacs-nox.exe directly, or
> you can try the test version of emacs-24 that's available via
> setup.exe. The latter would be appreciated; emacs-24.1 is going to be
> released fairly soon, and it would be nice to have some Cygwin users
> test it.
>
> Thanks for the report.
>
> Ken Brown
> Cygwin's emacs maintainer

I had the same problem (emacs-23 hangs) today after updating Cygwin
including GNOME libraries.

I tried emacs-24, but with no luck: after hitting `C-x C-f C-g' emacs
almost always dumps core.  I had to revert to emacs-23 for now (using
the workaround with emacs-nox, thanks for it!).

Sorry for the poor report, probably I could provide more details if
needed. In case it matters, I did full rebase (deleted db file and run
rebaseall) just before trying emacs-24.

--
Filipp Gunbin