Shell script loop runs out of memory

Hi folks,

I've written a shell script running under CygWin, the purpose of which is to
monitor a file for changes. If the MD5 hash fails to match the previous hash, it
will execute a command to process the file. I used a 1-second delay between
checks of the hash. This works great for several hours, but then gives an "out
of memory" error and actually brings Windows 7 to its knees.

The script uses a loop within a loop; the outer loop is infinite by design, and
the inner loop ends when it finds a non-matching hash and processes the file. It
broke while running the inner loop, without the file having been modified at
that point in time. The file was modified numerous times previously, triggering
the code below the inner loop, but not around the time when the memory error
occurred.

I am just wondering why the loops here are consuming increasing amounts of
memory over time?  I'm assigning new MD5 values into existing variables over and
over, not allocating new variables for each MD5 assignment. (Right??) Is 1
second perhaps too short a delay... does the system need time to deallocate
something between each iteration of the inner loop?

Here is the script:
------------------------
#!/bin/sh

FILE_TO_CHECK=/mypath/style.less

echo "Reading hash for $FILE_TO_CHECK with md5sum"
MD5PRINT=`md5sum $FILE_TO_CHECK | cut -d " " -f1`

MD5PRINTNEW=$MD5PRINT

while [[ 1 = 1 ]]
do
        echo "Waiting for file to change..."

        while [[ "$MD5PRINT" = "$MD5PRINTNEW" ]]
        do
                sleep 1

                MD5PRINTNEW=`md5sum $FILE_TO_CHECK | cut -d " " -f1`
        done

        echo "File was modified ... Running compiler..."

        /mypath/lessc $FILE_TO_CHECK /mypath/style.css -x

        echo "Reading hash for $FILE_TO_CHECK with md5sum"
        MD5PRINT=`md5sum $FILE_TO_CHECK | cut -d " " -f1`

        MD5PRINTNEW=$MD5PRINT
done
------------------------

Any help would be appreciated. I can provide the exact memory error if
requested, but I would need some help to know which logs (if any) in CygWin to
look at, to dig around and find the error text. (I'd rather not run it all day
to reproduce the error again. The error was definitely something related to my
CygWin shell running out of memory.)

(If you propose a solution which involves increasing the memory available to
CygWin, that seems illogical, because the script is gradually increasing its own
memory usage over time. Thus, such a solution would only delay the inevitable, I
think.)

Thanks!
Jordan