Re: Performance problems with emacs-X11 in current cygwin

On 6/6/2012 7:04 AM, Stephen L wrote:
Ken Brown<kbrown<at> cornell.edu> writes:
Never mind.  I'm not up to this task.  But if you're willing to
facilitate the bisection by doing the builds, I'll be glad to test them
on my XP system, at least as far as emacs is concerned.  And I'm sure
there are gvim users who would do the same.

ok so I've been looking through the glib repo, there's not a huge amount of obvious changes, but this one looks interesting:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/commit/?h=glib-2-32&id=b1d447bd664bcbc607811c7920b67856d4f551e6

it will take me a few days to find the time, but I will make an effort to bisect
this a little further. watch this space

So that you don't go on a wild goose chase, I've been testing released version of glib from http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/glib, and I've determined that the problem does not occur with glib-2.30.3 but does occur with glib-2.31.0.

As I said earlier, I don't understand very well how git branches work, but I *think* this means we have to look in the 2-32 branch, prior to the 2.31.0 tag, to find the problematic commit. I've checked out the 2-32 branch, and I guess the next step is to find a problem-free revision of that branch, and then bisect between it and the 2.31.0 tag. I'm in the process of reading the git documentation to figure out how to do that, but I wouldn't object if someone would save me some time by giving me the appropriate git commands.

Ken