Re: Trusted Software Vendor

On 06/12/2012 09:12 AM, Nick Lowe wrote:
> http://cygwin.com/
>
> "The Cygwin DLL and utilities are Copyright © 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003,
> 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Red Hat, Inc"

Yes, that's true for the cygwin1.dll.  But it's not all the executables
available from cygwin.com.  Even among the packages I help maintain (on
my own time, and not on Red Hat's time, I might add), ls.exe is
copyright FSF; diffstat.exe is copyright Thomas E. Dickey; git.exe is
copyright by many different individuals; etc., and none of these are
owned or run by Red Hat.  That is, Red Hat cannot make blanket
operations on executables, just because cygwin.com ships them, because
Red Hat is not the copyright holder on the majority of the binaries
bundled in the cygwin distribution, nor even the entity that compiled
the binaries in the first place.  Most of what you get from cygwin is
the effort of individual contributors, while only a few things like
cygwin1.dll are directly owned by Red Hat.