/bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost

I occasionally find that cygwin is broken, and I find that /usr/bin and
/usr/lib no longer are useful. The mount command (for which I need to type
/bin/mount) shows nothing mounted there. I type the following two commands:
mount c:/cygwin/bin /usr/bin
mount c:/cygwin/lib /usr/lib
and things work (through reboots) for a while, and then break again.
Any hints how I can keep this from happening, or what might cause it?