Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost

Warren Young wrote:

> On 6/13/2012 11:19 AM, richw wrote:
>>
>> I occasionally find that cygwin is broken, and I find that /usr/bin and
>> /usr/lib no longer are useful.
>
> It would help if you could pin down what you were doing before Cygwin
> breaks each time.
>
> Can you please search your entire hard drive for a second copy of
> cygwin1.dll?  There should only be one, in c:\cygwin\bin.  If you find
> others, tell us their paths.
>
> --

What was I doing? I rebooted the computer. I don't remember doing
anything unusual before or after the reboot. Yesterday I was doing a
bunch of downloading of libraries and other information, mostly from
st.com. I did double-click on a *.chm file which tried to do something
but didn't succeed. I got a Contents pane, but the content just
says "Navigation to the webpage was canceled"

I have 11 copies of cygwin1.dll.
http://old.nabble.com/file/p34009171/cygwin1list.txt cygwin1list.txt
The D: drive is backup, and you can see there a copy from my c:
drive from my previous computer. I would hope that none of the
copies on the D: drive would interfere with anything.

C:\Downloads\ST\stm32_usb_something_um0424\STM32_USB-FS-Device_Lib_V3.3.0\Utilities\Binary\cygwin1.dll

is interesting because I probably downloaded it yesterday. It's
possible I ran some program from that download, but I don't
remember doing so. In the same directory is a file named arm-elf-objcopy.exe
that uses cygwin1.dll, but I have never run it.

The other two copies on C: are detritus left over from creating
a windows installer that included it, before I figured out how to make
an executable that didn't require it.