Cygwin unstable as hell on Windows7 64bitâ

Since my system was replaced by one running Windows 7 on an Intel Core I5, I may call myself lucky if I can work for an hour.
Even the "dos box" may crash when doing nothing at all. I copied my install from my previous system, but I tried a new installation that didn't fare any better. Normally I run X with a couple of xterms. The crash does not depend on the shell I use, which is normally AT&T's ksh.
Perhaps I shouldn't try to run Cygwin on this configuration? I read about running it inside an XP virtual machine,
but if I have to go that way, what would be the use of Cygwin?
Windows 7 Enterprise Ver 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1
Running under WOW64 on AMD64