Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost

marco atzeri-4 wrote:

> On 6/20/2012 7:26 AM, richw wrote:
>>

>> marco atzeri-4 wrote:
>>>

>>> cool down
>>> your message of 19 Jun
>>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-06/msg00336.html
>>> has still an old one cygcheck.out as link.
>>> so please so kind to provide us the right and updated info
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Marco
>>>

>> I apologize. I have apparently been bitten by uploading two different
>> files
>> with the same name. When I clicked on the link in the message of the
>> 19th, I
>> got the correct file. So, after a name change, we have:
>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p34040469/cygcheck2.out cygcheck2.out
>>

> I see nothing strange.
>
> On one of your previous post you mentioned
>
> "bash: id: command not found"
>
> this usually happens if the shell is not a login shell.
> as the cygwin dir are not added to the path.
>
> Eg
> from cmd.exe in c:\cygwin
> ------------------------------
> C:\>cd cygwin
>
> C:\cygwin>bin\bash
>
> $ id
> bash: id: command not found
> -----------------------------
>
> while
> -----------------------------
> E:\cygwin>bin\bash  -l
>
> $ id
> uid=1008(marco) gid=544(Administrators)
> groups=544(Administrators),0(root),545(U
> sers),513(None)
> ------------------------------
>

> However for cygcheck you have:
>
> Output from C:\cygwin\bin\id.exe
> UID: 1000(rw)       GID: 513(None)
> 513(None)           0(root)             544(Administrators) 545(Users)
> 1002(HomeUsers)
>
> Path:	C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin
> 	C:\cygwin\bin
> [cut]
>

> Is it possible that some of your shell are incorrectly called ?
> Regards
> MArco
>
> --

Marco,

I suspect that you are losing sight of the big picture. When you look at
"bash: id: command not found"
you are looking at one of the downstream consequences of the original
problem.
Or, that is, of the most upstream problem that I know of. When /bin isn't
mounted on /usr/bin, of course id will not be found, since $PATH points to
/usr/bin,
and /usr/bin is empty.
I believe what needs to be studied is why an access from a remote system
to an nfs file system before opening a bash prompt causes the automatic
mount of /usr/bin and /usr/lib to be skipped.
When I open a bash prompt before accessing the nfs file system, everything
works as it should.
cygcheck2.out was created when the system was working correctly.
I don't believe it's useful, but here is a cygcheck when the mount has been
skipped:
$ /bin/cygcheck -s -v -r >
http://old.nabble.com/file/p34043774/cygcheck3.out cygcheck3.out
It looks like it's mostly just missing stuff it couldn't find.