Re: cygwin 1.7.15-1 - .NET console output locks up mintty

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 02:49:20PM +0400, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Jamie Briggs!
>
> > I have noticed a problem with the â"cygwin: The Unix emulation engine" package,
> > version 1.7.15-1.  Output from .NET console does not show up, the console
> > (mintty) becomes unresponsive and must be killed.
>
> > Reverting back to 1.7.14-2 fixes the problem.
>
> > The problem can be demonstrated using a HelloWorld.cs containing:
>
> >    using System;
>
> >    public class Program
> >    {
> >           static void Main(string[] args)
> >          {
> >                Console.WriteLine("Hello");
> >          }
> >    }
>
> > compiling with:   csc HelloWorld.cs
>
> > and then running:  ./HelloWorld.exe
>
> > This results in no output and an unresponsive mintty under 1.7.15-1.  If
> > "cmd.exe" is ran on top of bash and then HelloWorld is ran there it does the
> > same thing.  After reverting to 1.7.14-2 everything is working normally again.
>
> > I am building the executables with VS2010 and running on 64bit Windows7.  I am
> > attaching my cygcheck.out file.

Earnie Boyd asked:

> Does the result change if you install the latest snapshot of
> cygwin1.dll from cygwin.com/snapshots?

Yes, replacing cygwin1.dll with the latest snapshot, cywgin1-20120619.dll,
makes the observed problem go away.

James Johnson asked:

> Try both of the following:
>
> 1.  Update to latest development snapshot, should resolve the bug you are
> primarily observing.
> 2.  Set the CYGWIN environment variable to pipe_byte.  Cygwin now uses
> message pipes by default, which are not compatible with .NET Framework and
> Visual C++ runtimes (not currently documented anywhere in Cygwin or MS
> documentation)

1. I'm not sure how to do that.

2. Running "export CYGWIN=pipe_byte" and then the .NET HelloWorld program still
   exhibited the problem.

- Jamie