Re: cygwin port forwarding

On 6/24/2012 1:33 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:

I ran netstat, I think in a non-cygwin terminal, and didn't see the
ports listed

Then there is no tunnel.

You probably used the wrong command instead of 'ssh -fNL ...'

For thunderbird, I pointed it at localhost and
the forwarded port, and was unable to connect.  One reason I asked is
that I have only middling confidence I  know what t-bird is actually
doing.

TBird will have one minor problem: the server certificate.

Since you are connecting to localhost and the server has its own name in the certificate (if configured correctly), then you will be shown the warning panel, and you will have to 'accept' to continue using that server.

On the other hand, inside a cygwin terminal I was able to use openssl to
connect via the same port on localhost.

Meaning?

Did you use "openssl s_client ..." or you mean something else. That test if for sending main, not reading, which seems to be what you wanted to do.

The target port is secure IMAP, 993.

As long as TBird is configured (Server settings) with the correct port, and "Security Settings" (SSL/TLS), there is no problem, it works.

There are 2 separate configurations in TBird, one for reading, one for sending (at the bottom of the "Account Settings" window: "Outgoing Server").
--
René Berber