Re: crash on latest cygwin snapshot

On Jun 26 11:04, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:10:28AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 07:53:05AM -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
On 6/24/2012 5:30 PM, marco atzeri wrote:
while building latest atlas I hit a bug that is crashing all the running
cygwin process.
It crashes on 20120619 snapshot and also latest cvs source.
No issue on 20120611 snapshot.

I'm also seeing this crash, but it does not kill all running cygwin processes. The only processes that die are the mintty processes and the associated bash processes. For example, it just happened a few minutes ago, and XWin survived, along with emacs and xterm.

It happens intermittently, maybe once every 3 days, and I haven't found
a simple sequence of steps for reproducing it.  All I can say for sure
is that I always have more than one mintty running, and they all die.

Marco, are you sure all cygwin processes die when you experience this
problem?  Also, since you can reliably reproduce the crash, have you
tried reverting to the previous version of mintty?  Note that mintty was
updated just a few days before the 20120619 snapshot was released.

He indicated that some processes kept running.

But, hmm. I haven't updated mintty lately. I will try that.

This still just hangs my system by creating many /bin/sh and gcc jobs. What am I supposed to be seeing for output? If I set the PATH to just /usr/bin, I see:

User Override Compilers:
    'none' : 'none' '-fno-common'
    'none' : 'none' '-fno-common'
    'none' : 'none' '-fno-common'
    'none' : 'none' '-fno-common'
    'none' : 'none' '-fno-common'
    'none' : 'none' '-fno-common'
    'none' : 'none' '-fno-common'
    'none' : 'none' '-fno-common'

and then no more output until I have to restart the machine due to
excessive process creation.

This might be a result of the problem, too. When I run the command on W7 and W2008R2, it hangs a couple of seconds at this point, apparently running a find(1) command, and then the output starts like this: