Why Cygwin tries to pull in winsock2.h when compiling a Linux application?

Hi, I am using Cygwin 1.7.11 i686 on Windows 7 PC. I am trying to compile a Linux C++ application on Cygwin.

When I use the ./configure command, Cygwin shows the following error messages:

checking winsock2.h usability... no
checking winsock2.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: winsock2.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: winsock2.h: ? ? check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: winsock2.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: winsock2.h: ? ? section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: winsock2.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: winsock2.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING: ? ? ## ------------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING: ? ? ## Report this to xxx@xxx.xxx ##
configure: WARNING: ? ? ## ------------------------------------------ ##
checking for winsock2.h... yes
checking ws2tcpip.h usability... no
checking ws2tcpip.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: ws2tcpip.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: ws2tcpip.h: ? ? check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: ws2tcpip.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: ws2tcpip.h: ? ? section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: ws2tcpip.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: ws2tcpip.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING: ? ? ## Report this to xxx@xxx.xxx ##
checking for ws2tcpip.h... yes

winsock2.h and ws2tcpip.h are Windows header files for Windows network/socket programming. Why Cygwin tries to pull in Windows header files when I am compiling a Linux C++ application? How can I fix this issue?

Thanks.