cygwin make failing with Error 126 after upgrading to Windows 7

We've just upgraded from XP to Windows 7 and now our build system is
failing when running make 2.81 from cygwin to compile and link our C++
libraries.

We parallel build across 6 of the 8 cores available on our development
machines (using -j 6) and have had no issues with XP.

Now, as soon as we upgraded to Windows 7, we are randomly getting
errors like this:

  make[3]: *** [tmodel/CMakeFiles/tmodel.dir/test.cpp.obj] Error 126
  make[2]: *** [tmodel/CMakeFiles/tmodel.dir/all] Error 2
  make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
  make: *** [release] Error 2

Just restarting the make command again will successfully continue
where it stopped, until it randomly fails with this error again.

It looks to me like make is getting into some kind of contention issue
with the target .obj files during the parallel build.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and more importantly has anyone
figured out how to fix this?

Thanks!

Andy