Re: tar won't extract all files when a file with exe extension precedes the same without extension inside the archive

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 01:39:41AM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
>From: "Aaron Schneider"
>> $ touch myfile myfile.exe
>>
>> $ tar -cvf mytar.tar myfile.exe myfile
>>
>> $ tar -xvf mytar.tar
>>
>> Only myfile will be written to the filesystem
>
>Yep, apparently its "by design" :(
>
>It causes us pain regularly so we would like this fairly
>recent change reverted so behaviour is once again predicatable
>and it doesnt break simple takess like extracting archive.

Yes, yes.  The pain.  The pain.  Danger Will Robinson!

There really is not much point in rehashing this again under a different
subject.

If you or anyone would like to offer patches which change the behavior
while keeping everyone happy about .exe handling please do so.