Re: Confusing, but not fatal bug....rmdir removed network dir (rename to .____00000hexnum/)

On Jul 26 14:48, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> >Just try the latest developer snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
> >It contains the patch.
> ---
> 	In running the rd * in bot of my Doc and Pictures dir, no dirs
> were renamed or deleted ...
>
> 	(FWIW, I have a recycle bin setup on my samba server, so the
> worse that should have happened would have been I'd find the tree removed
> and find the tree in the recycle bin...

No, that wouldn't happen.  On remote drives, the most Cygwin can do
is to rename the dir since shares usually don't have a recycle bin.
Granted, it's not ideal.  Perhaps Cygwin should try to move the file
or directory to the root of the share in case of sharing violations, as
the Microsoft NFS driver does it.  But the unlink/rmdir code got already
about 5 times as complex as I would be comfortable with, so I'm a bit
reluctant to add even more code...

> but all the dirs gave
> not-empty error messages....so nothing was deleted...(renamed)...

Thanks for the feedback,
Corinna

Red Hat