Re: Cygwin setup scrambled permissions

On 8/13/2012 6:47 PM, Lord Laraby wrote:
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
On 8/13/2012 5:49 PM, Lord Laraby wrote:

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Ken Brown wrote:

D:\Programs\cygwin\etc\postinstall>autorebase.bat
/usr/lib/perl5/5.14/i686-cygwin-threads-64int/CORE/cygperl5_14_2.dll:
skipped be
cause nonexistent.

This is just a warning, which you can ignore. See Ken

Aye. That I see now. However, shouldn't autorebase.bat actually do something? Or is it not like rebaseall? My guess is it's only trying to rebase that specific file and failing. If that's so, I'm fine with it.

autorebase.bat does run rebaseall, and there's no reason to think it isn't doing anything. It's not failing; it's just reporting that there was one specific file that it couldn't rebase. If there's no other error message, you can assume it did its job.

Ken

Well I say it's not doing anything because the prompt returns immediately and prints the error above. I have run rebaseall several times over the course of using Cygwin tools. It nearly always runs for at least 20 seconds and often much longer.

So you're complaining that rebaseall runs _more_quickly_ than in the past? Someone needs to flag this post in the email archives for posterity. Or at least we can use it as something to point to when someone in the future complains about Cygwin being slow. ;-)

So, it seemed odd.

OK, despite my attempt at light humor above, it's a fair question. Rebasing now keeps a DB of things that have already been rebased. So there's no longer a need to rebase all the Cygwin DLLs on your system each time rebaseall is run. For more info, see /usr/share/doc/rebase/README. Of course if you want it to run more slowly like you're used to, you can pass the -b flag. That will force it to rebase all the Cygwin DLLs and you'll be able to get your full enjoyment of rebaseall just like you used to. ;-)

-- Larry