Re: Non-interactive SSH connection fails - error: can't open /dev/tty: No such device or address - Host key verification failed

On 8/23/2012 2:31 PM, Costin Caraivan wrote:
Hello,

Below you can see the log. The connection is from a Windows 2008
Cygwin SSH client to a Windows 2008 Cygwin SSHD server.
The connection works ok when launched from the command line but fails
when launched from Jenkins (Java Continuous Integration server).
Jenkins actually creates a temporary batch script containing exactly
the same command I can run from the command line directly. So: manual
execution - ok, execution through the script - *ko*.
The /dev/tty file exists and is rw for everybody. I tried deleting it
and recreating it, but I can't since Cygwin recreates it before I can
create a link to /dev/ttySO.
The connection uses SSH keys with no passphrases.

Can we see cygcheck -srv output for both machines? Does it work going from client to client or server to server (i.e. 1 machine only). Are you up-to-date? If so, does the latest snapshot help?

<http://cygwin.com/snapshots/>

Any other extra debugging ideas? By the way, where can I see the
Cygwin SSHD server logs? In /var/logs/sshd.log is empty :(

'/var/log/sshd.log'. But it will be empty if nothing noteworthy has occurred. If you want to see more chatter, add a new service entry to run sshd with debug flags. You can grab the details for how to set up a sshd service from '/bin/ssh-host-config' but the basics are:

/usr/bin/cygrunsrv -I sshd_debug -d "CYGWIN Debug sshd" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a "-D -d -d -d" -y tcpip -u cyg_server -w <your cyg_server password here>

The three "-d" flags are the important part. To start this service, use:

/usr/bin/cygrunsrv -S sshd_debug

This will need to be restarted with each connection attempt.  Also, you
should stop your regular sshd service while running this so they don't
conflict.

/usr/bin/cygrunsrv -E sshd

Apologies for typos.

--