Re: ssh tunneling and keys - how to...

Brian Wilson <wilson <at> ds.net> writes:

> You have your local computer connected to a second computer and want to go fro
> the second machine to a third machine (if I understand this).  The connection
> from the local machine to the second machine works; but the connection from
> the second to the third does not work.
>
> You need to set up an ssh key from the second server to the third server.
> Generate the public/private key on the second server and move the public key
> to the third server's .ssh directory (and check the directory and file
> permissions are correct).  You can't set up keys for all machines from the
> local machine only.  I hope this helps.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Brian S. Wilson

Hi Brian and thanks for your answer.

Yes, that's what I want to do, from my local machine connect to a remote server,
once I open a session on that server, then connect to another server.

The thing is that when I do this from a Linux machine, it works fine.

I do not connect using my own user name but a special user name with read
privileges that the administrators of those servers have created, imagine that
the remote servers have created a user such as 'readonlyuser' with password
'simplepassword', that the first server is 'firstserver' and that the second
server is 'secondserver', then I connect as...

ssh readonlyuser@firstserver
(when asked for the password we input 'simplepassword'

Now I'm connected to firstserver and from there I do...

ssh readonlyuser@secondserver
(when asked for the password I input 'simplepassword'

This last part is the one I cannot get working, I don't know if I am making
sense here but it works from a Linux machine.

Any ideas?