Re: Problem during C source code compilation

On 9/10/2012 01:22, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>> want to
>>>
>>> You are right on spot as for that, but unfortunately Zone Alarm (my
>>> 2nd firewall option) is also BLODA.  I can easily live without McAfee
>>> (and I'm seriously decided to replace it by another non-BLODA product),
>>> but really good, *non-leaky* firewalls aren't that easy to find.  I
>>> will see what I can do.
>>
>> You realize that Windows comes with a perfectly good firewall, right?
>
> I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with that thought.

No, I'm thinking of the possible incompetence involved, the Cisco clean
access or whatever Trojan that the IT department installs probably does
not recognize the Windows default firewall, so you have to pay $$$ instead.

Then again, it might even be insidious even if those AV or firewall
programs are sold at a "special discount" price for university students.
It's just racketeering, think of the student turn over rate, and the
kickbacks.

>> I really don't think people need the security bolt-ons they think they
>> need. All they do is slow things down and cause problems.
>>

> Fear of the unknown is a great sale pitch.  What I really dislike are
> those who distribute things like virus protection embedded in their
> own product installation.  I upgraded Java and ended up requesting an
> install of McAfee.

How does Java relate to McAfee?