Re: No support for sharing unnamed semaphores between processes through shared memory?

On 9/25/2012 2:03 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
Matt Sexton wrote:
Hello,

I am attempting to port to Cygwin an application that synchronizes
between processes using unnamed semaphores in shared memory.  Both
processes have mapped the shared memory region, one process
initialize
----
     There's a cygwin process that you have to have running
for shared memory that "hosts" or holds on to the shared
memory.

I think it is the Cygwin cygserver....(but don't kill me if I'm wrong)...

Something needs to hang around and hold onto that shared memory, or windows
will recycle it.

It is cygserver -- in my limited experience, the shm works as advertised.

See http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygserver.html for gory details (actually, not so gory at all).

Remember to shut it down when running setup.exe, or if you rebase (this, because it's a regular cygwin process -- for the same reason, if you manage to wedge cygwin's pseudo-kernel, you may need to bounce the service, in addition to killing off all your other cygwin processes, before cygwin will so-to-speak "reboot" and unwedge).

-gmt