Re: Problem with HTTPS in LWP module in Perl

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Björn Kautler  wrote:
> I'm having a problem with https requests to
> "https://www.geocaching.com"; in perl.
> Nothing was done at all, then I found out I need to install
> LWP::Protocol:https which I did with "cpan LWP::Protocol:https".
> Now according to Wireshark at least SSL communication is started.
> But after the "Client Hello" it just hangs until a timeout happens,
> waiting for the "Server Hello".
> With other HTTPS pages like "https://www.google.com"; it works fine.
> The exact same Perl script works fine under Ubuntu.
> The https request to the same page works fine with curl under cygwin.
> If I change the SSL socket class to Net::SSL instead of
> IO::Socket::SSL, it also hangs after the "Client Hello", but then
> retries with SSLv3 instead of TLSv1 according to Wireshark and this at
> least works a bit better though not completely.
> So I guess something is weird in the Cygwin port of IO::Socket::SSL. :-/

Probably, but I cannot reproduce it.
If it is, you need to file a rt.cpan.org ticket for this,
with some wireshark loggings and the exact request.

$ lwp-request https://www.geocaching.com/
501 Protocol scheme 'https' is not supported (LWP::Protocol::https not
installed)
$ cpan LWP::Protocol::https
... (built and installed SULLR/IO-Socket-SSL-1.77.tar.gz,
GAAS/LWP-Protocol-https-6.03.tar.gz)
  /usr/bin/make install  -- OK

$ lwp-request -USed https://www.geocaching.com/
GET https://www.geocaching.com/

500 Can't connect to www.geocaching.com:443
Client-Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 18:21:07 GMT
Client-Warning: Internal response

From debian:
$ lwp-request -USed https://www.geocaching.com/
GET https://www.geocaching.com/

GET https://www.geocaching.com/ --> 500 Can't connect to www.geocaching.com:443
Client-Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 18:18:49 GMT
Client-Warning: Internal response

$ lwp-request -USed https://www.google.com/
-> 200 OK

--