Re: Domain User getting "Permission Denied" for anything outside of /home/<user>/

On 11/2/2012 12:41 PM, Cameron Gunnin wrote:
Hi,

I've been struggling with this for the past week to no avail.  As the
title suggests, if I am logged in under a user that is not the user
who installed Cygwin (regardless of the user's windows permissions),
then I cannot modify near anything outside of /home/<user>/.  Here's
what I'm trying to get working.

1a) Install Cygwin as a Local Administrator.  Run "mkpasswd -l >
/etc/passwd" and "mkgroup -l > /etc/group"

Why are you running mkpasswd and mkgroup yourself? passwd-grp.sh postinstall script runs this for you, including adding a '-c' flag to pick up the local user.

OR (I would prefer 1a, but 1b is acceptable as well)
1b) Install Cygwin as Domain Administrator.  Run "mkpasswd -d >
/etc/passwd" and "mkgroup -d > /etc/group"

2) Login as Domain User (has administrative privileges on local
machine AND can access the AD).
NOTE: At this point, I get the message:

Your group is currently "mkpasswd".  This indicates that your
gid is not in /etc/group and your uid is not in /etc/passwd.

The /etc/passwd (and possibly /etc/group) files should be rebuilt.
See the man pages for mkpasswd and mkgroup then, for example, run

mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd
mkgroup -l [-d] > /etc/group

Note that the -d switch is necessary for domain users.

3) Attempt to run "mkpasswd -d >> /etc/passwd" and "mkgroup -d >> /etc/group"
However, I get the message:

$ mkpasswd -d >> /etc/passwd
-sh: /etc/passwd: Permission Denied

Run it as the local or domain administrator that you used while installing.

-- Larry