Re: Domain User getting "Permission Denied" for anything outside of /home/<user>/

On 11/7/2012 12:30 PM, Cameron Gunnin wrote:
On 11/2/2012 12:41 PM, Cameron Gunnin wrote:
Hi,

I've been struggling with this for the past week to no avail. As the
title suggests, if I am logged in under a user that is not the user
who installed Cygwin (regardless of the user's windows permissions),
then I cannot modify near anything outside of /home/<user>/. Here's
what I'm trying to get working.

1a) Install Cygwin as a Local Administrator. Run "mkpasswd -l >
/etc/passwd" and "mkgroup -l > /etc/group"

Why are you running mkpasswd and mkgroup yourself? passwd-grp.sh postinstall script runs this for you, including adding a '-c' flag to pick up the local user.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see (nor can find) a passwd-grp.sh script. I searched the entire Cygwin folder and did not find it. A brief search on the cygwin site didn't turn anything up either. Could you point me in the right direction?

Sorry, I have the old name for the postinstall script still kicking around in my postinstall directory. You're looking for 000-cygwin-post-install.sh.

<snip>

Cygwin is going to eventually be ran by domain users only.  The current
process was to install cygwin under the local administrator, run
mkpasswd/mkgroup -l, then image it.  When the domain user first logged on,
they would run mkpasswd/mkgroup -d, but it's giving them the error message
above (Permission Denied) to append to the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files.
I was trying to find out why.

Ah. That's a horse of a different color. ;-)

You can't update the '/etc/passwd' and '/etc/group' files by another user
because they have no access.  Check out 'ls -l /etc/passwd' and I think
you'll see what I mean.  The simple solution is to change the group
ownership on this and '/etc/group' to some shared group.  Either that or
add write permissions across the board (chmod +w /etc/passwd /etc/group).

--
Larry