Re: trouble accessing samba shares with spaces and/or parentheses

On 12/21/2012 10:51 AM, bartels wrote:
On 12/21/2012 07:30 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
On 12/21/2012 10:11 AM, bartels wrote:
So where can I find strace?
Where did you look?

$ type strace
strace is /bin/strace

strace is one of my favourite toys on linux.
Somehow, I never located it on cygwin. Never just typed in the magic word :)
The packaging is a little different here, and the searching not so easy. I expected a package.
I guess my point was you coulda just typed in strace and would have been pleasantly surprised!
BTW: Why the insistence on mapping it to a drive letter? Everybody always does that and I don't understand why. Drive letters change. Some people hard code 'em in their scripts. This is a recipe for errors. Other people say sometimes that some Windows apps can't work with UNC paths. I don't know of any that have this problem anymore. Q:/ doesn't tell me where this directly is located...

No reason, really, other than the fact that Windoze forces us to access physical storage devices via the silly drive letters .
But if I understood you correctly this is not a physical device but rather a network mount.
Not using drive letters would mean I have two different presentations: one for local storage and one for remote storage.
So what. You have two different devices.

Yet but using drive letters means you've just made a dependency that may not hold true on the next system and that people sometimes hard code into scripts. Then you get to a machine who's owner says "Oh but I use my Q drive" and all your scripting is screwed. A UNC path is always right - drive letters sometimes cause problems.
When in Rome . . .
When in Rome I'm still and American! ;-)

Said differently, yes when I was in Rome physically myself I tried to do things like Romans, however if they did something I thought foolish I didn't continue to do it that way just because I was in Rome. YMMV.
And is there a way to mount a network share without a drive letter, using cygwin?
Well, as I said, you could just refer to it - no mounting required! (Though I believe it really does mount it in some way for the duration of the remote file system access...)

Or you can just do

$ # \'s doubled because bash swallows them and net use requires them.
$ net use \\\\<server>\\share
$ net use
New connections will be remembered.

Status Local Remote Network

                       \\<server>\<share>   Microsoft Windows Network
More importantly, is it possible to mount a network share, using cygwin, so that it becomes visible/available in explorer?
Again, no mounting is required. Open up Windows Explorer and type in the UNC (\\<server>\<share>) and there you are!

And if your question then becomes "Yeah but can applications also access them?" my experience has been "Well yes, of course!" (though there may be some Windows apps that can't I haven't hit many of them lately).
The scope of mounting seems to be limited to a process (tree). Every service must mount separately.
That's not been my experience.
Or have I missed something?
Might have. What have you tried?
--