Unable to install coreutils 8.15-1(?) - error in coreutils.sh exit code 127

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue Feb 21 15:35:00 GMT 2012

On 02/21/2012 05:18 AM, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>> On 2/20/2012 12:35 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
>>> That link error is typically a sign of cygwin1.dll being too old
>>> compared to what coreutils 8.15 is expecting.  Are you sure your
>>> cygwin1.dll comes from 1.7.10, and that it wasn't in-use when you
>>> upgraded in such a manner that you are still running cygwin 1.7.9 in
> memory?
>> Interesting. uname -a is reporting 1.7.9. You might be right! I'll try
> to find a time to reboot and>  check this out.
>
> I had the same problem yesterday after trying to install "chere": cygwin
> executables not doing anything, but cygcheck saying all packages OK.
> After a lot of floundering, FAQing, web searches, trying to force
> reinstall of coreutils 8.15, then forcing reinstall from local disk of
> everything, still no cigar. Reading this thread this morning put me on
> the right track: force downgrade of coreutils to 8.14-1. Then cygwin
> works again, but that can only be a temporary fix, since every time one
> runs setup, it upgrades coreutils to 8.15...
>
> Anyway, after reboot, uname -a says 1.7.9-1. And indeed, opening
> cygwin1.dll in "dependency walker" (a Win32, not a cygwin, tool) shows
> that sys_siglist is not defined. But cygcheck states that 1.7.10-1 is
> installed! Hence I forced reinstall of pkg "cygwin" (while it upgrades
> coreutils). Now everything is fine.
>
> I suppose we'll never know what began the problem. Still, cygcheck
> should NOT have reported 1.7.10-1 as OK when it was not...
>
> Thanks to the whole cygwin community for help on this in particular, and
> for a fine ware in general.
>
> Michel Bardiaux
> ---------------
> "As far as I can see all I see is C"

To further report my progress... I did reboot and things were not good.
Cygwin had problems. So I went to install coreutils-8.15-1 and things
did not improve. I also saw uname reporting 1.7.9. But then what I did
was set to reinstall both coreutils and cygwin base to make sure that
cygwin1.dll got reinstalled. I also made sure all of my Cygwin services
were stopped and that cygwin1.dll was not loaded (Process Explorer is
great for that) and launched setup.exe from a Windows Explorer and set
coreutils and cygwin base to reinstall. After that things were fine and
uname reported 1.7.10.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Press any key... no, no, no, NOT THAT ONE!