cygwin port forwarding

René Berber r.berber@computer.org
Sat Jun 23 17:43:00 GMT 2012

On 6/23/2012 11:29 AM, Ross Boylan wrote:

> Can non-cygwin applications "see" the ports ssh in cygwin sets up for
> forwarding?  I did some tests on Windows 7 and found that, although the
> forwarding was clearly in effect for commands I ran in the cygwin shell,
> it did not seem to be accessible to the regular Windows version of
> Thunderbird.

Yes.

I use a tunnel from home to work, and by use I mean Firefox to open
pages/applications I don't want to expose to the Internet.

It should be the same with Thunderbird, of course the port changes, but
you connect to localhost:143 (IMAP), localhost:25 (SMTP), or whatever.
If you can connect with telnet to those ports, then TBird shouldn't have
a problem.
--
René Berber