Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: emacs*-24.2.93-2 (TEST)

On 22/02/2013 17:37 +0400, Ken Brown wrote:

> On 2/22/2013 3:47 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> At the moment emacs-X11 has a higher priority than emacs-w32.  All things
>> considered, giving emacs-w32 priority over emacs-X11 seems to be more generally
>> useful on Cygwin than the other way around.
>
> It's hard to know what people's preferences will be.  I gave emacs-X11
> the highest priority for two reasons:
>
> * It's been the only GUI version of emacs on Cygwin for many years, so
> making it the default doesn't change what people are used to.
>
> * It's the build you get by default if you don't override it with
> configure options.
>
> Maybe I should supply a script that lets users easily change the
> priority, something like the scripts set-gcc-default-*.sh that Dave
> Korn provided for gcc.
>
> Ken

For me, there's one important advantage of emacs-w32 over X11 version:
font rendering.  In emacs-w32 it is as good as in mintty (I use
"partial" smoothing in mintty, because ClearType renders fonts too
bold), while in X11 fonts are blurred even with anti-aliasing (not much,
but annoying).  Maybe I just did not configure it properly.  I think
I'll continue to use emacs in mintty, but for rare cases (pdf, html with
necessary images) it's a pleasure to have emacs-w32.

That probably does not have more importance than the reasons you stated,
but for some people it can be crucial.

BTW, if someone knows how to get under X the quality of rendering comparable
to mintty, please respond.

Filipp