Re: Bash sub-shell freezing in Midnight Commander

Il 5/20/2013 3:39 PM, Seb.Th ha scritto:
Le 14/05/2013 18:08, Nate Bargmann wrote :
I'm relatively new to Cygwin and am using it to enhance portability of a
software package I help maintain.  To be sure that a bug I was hitting
in my compilation was in my software package I updated Cygwin last week
and since then I have found that the sub-shell started by Midnight
Commander is apparently freezing.

(...) I've tried
downgrading mc but that did not help.  I have found that mc is
responsive until a directory change is called or an external command is
attempted from the command bar.  I have found via Windows Task Manager
that the 'bash.exe' process instantly jumps to 99% CPU usage.  Once that
process is killed mc functionality returns (I didn't test all functions)
although the command bar is dead and no external commands can be run.

Same problem here with mc, freezing ten / twenty seconds on directories
navigation and subshell call (crtl-O). Using mc with -u, --nosubshell
option "fixes" the problem, but of course, ctrl+O is disabled.

lftp has same issues (freezing and high %CPU on bash.exe) while
executing local commands (!ls, !cd, ...).

No bash freeze on my PC also within lftp.
The only main differences I noticed between my system
and Nate's one are:

Windows Vista Home Premium Ver 6.0 Build 6002 Service Pack 2
vs
Windows 7 Professional N Ver 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1

and a relative long path

        C:\cygwin\bin
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live
        C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution
        C:\Windows\system32
        C:\Windows
        C:\Windows\system32\wbem
        C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution
        C:\hp\bin\Python
        C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\DivX Shared
        C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0
        C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Shared
        C:\Program Files\GTK2-Runtime\bin
        C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem
        C:\Users\Rick\unix\usr\local\wbin
        C:\cygwin\lib\lapack

Reinstalling cygwin package from 1.7.18-1 to 1.7.17-1 restored a safe
behaviour.

could you also try:
- latest snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
- a stream line PATH