Re: ASLR breaks cygwin

On 6/6/2013 10:52, Dan Kegel wrote:

I wonder if we could get them to recognize the parent-child
relationship somehow, and keep the same address space
in the child.

Just kidding.   Hell would sooner freeze over.

I don't know about that. For a long time, they had a bigger conflict of interest with Cygwin due to SFU/SUA/Interix and the POSIX subsystem. They announced SUA's doom a couple of years ago[1] and the need for a separate native POSIX API is gone[2]. I even recall reading on this list that Microsoft now recommends Cygwin, at least unofficially.

Perhaps Microsoft now has some incentive to create a native fork(2) like call in their OS that Cygwin could use. (Or something close enough, like Linux's clone(2).)

[1] http://goo.gl/4hrPg

[2] Presumably, gone with the 90's, when government contracts would sometimes require POSIX compatibility.