RE: UNC and POSIX paths

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013, at 21:42, Christopher Faylor thusly quipped:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 07:18:12PM -0700, gmt@malth.us wrote:
>> BTW, along the same lines, I stated previously it would break
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob_plain;f=m4/doub
>> le-sl ash-root.m4.  Turns out I was wrong, the m4 has a hard-coded list
>> of platforms.  So, I have to say, I can't think of one technical or
>> merit-based reason this shouldn't be done, aside from the fact that
>> it's annoying to hear it endlessly brought up on the mailing list (a
>> problem which an implementation would, in fact, solve, not exacerbate).
>
> I can't quite follow the logic here but if you're saying that if we no
longer
> treated // as /, people who want to use //usr/local/bin would not
complain,
> you're right.  That doesn't mean that a whole new class of complainer
would not
> show up, however.
>
> I can say with absolute certainty that there is one person who would
complain.

I was imagining a less intrusive hypothetical approach.

For example, perhaps a CYGWIN=nounc flag that would simply turn the feature
off, or a way to deactivate in fstab -- in short, anything reversible, and,
by default, preserving the existing behavior.  Prune-grafting "//" to "/smb"
might have been a good idea had it been done at cygwin's inception, but I
think it's probably too late now.

Although I hate to continue casting myself in this "advocate" role -- I
really have very little stake in this -- otherwise you would have patches
for this, rather than 1000 words.

-gmt