Re: Packaging Heimdal for Cygwin was Re: Heimdal 1.5.2: "unknown mech-code 2529639054 for mech 1 3 6 1 4 1 311 2 2 10"

> On Jun 21 13:35, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>> Since Cygwin Heimdal is built as Linux without any platform specific
>> credential cache support it will be restricted to using FILE: caches as
>> a ticket store.  Microsoft Kerberos never uses FILE: based caches and
>> native MIT and Heimdal distributions use them only when explicitly
>> configured to.
>>
>> The preferred location of a krb5.conf file on Windows is
>>
>>   %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Kerberos\krb5.conf
>>
>> By reading the DOS formatted file stored at that location any configuration
>> applied to native Kerberos library distributions will also be used by
>> Cygwin applications.
>
> Sorry if I'm dense but what does that mean exactly for Cygwin?  Assuming
> the Cygwin heimdal package would use that file location, would it be only
> able to interact correctly with other third part kerberos or heimdal
> packages, or would it also work with the native stuff and AD?

If Cygwin shared that location it would share the configuration for
native MIT and Heimdal Kerberos distributions.

Microsoft's Kerberos SSP is in-kernel and does not use configuration
files.  All Microsoft configuration is via Group Policy and Registry
manipulation.

Jeffrey Altman