Re: MSYS mode (continue)

On Jul  3 17:57, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 05:03:04PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >>
> >> And why is that necessary?  There are always default options set anyway,
> >> but a layout change of the fstab file simply makes no sense.  There's no
> >> win at all.
> >
> >I think Alexey is trying to replicate MSYS's behavior, so it becomes
> >more of a drop-in replacement.  Here's my MSYS /etc/fstab (MSYS doesn't
> >yet support per-user fstab.d/username settings):
> >
> >C:/MinGW               /mingw
> >C:/Users/me/Desktop    /desktop
> >C:/Users/me/Documents  /docs
> >C:/msys-src            /usr/src
>
> I think Cygwin fstab parsing could be loosened up to allow that syntax.

I didn't realize there's a backward compatibility problem.  Well, if you
think that's ok, we can take Alexey's patch and add a few words to the
docs about the simplified fstab syntax and the default option settings.
Fortunately it weould work independently of the environment, Cygwin or
MSYS2.  The patch is trivial enough to go in w/o CA, too.

> >Your MSYS-like cygwin installation would have its own /etc/fstab (in
> >regular cygwin format), but perhaps your /home area is mapped
> >differently in that fstab, than in the /etc/fstab in your "regular"
> >cygwin installation.  Or, like me, I have a separate msys-src and
> >cygwin-src directory mapped onto MSYS's /usr/src and cygwin's /usr/src,
> >respectively.
> >
> >Or is the proposal on the table for the same installation to be usable
> >in both modes, depending on the nature of the launched application?
>
> That's an interesting idea but I don't think anyone was proposing that.

Any suggestion how this could work?

Corinna

Red Hat