Re: Failure with fork() (Cygwin on Wine install now sort of works)

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 07:27:04PM -0700, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>On 2013-07-05 16:48-0400 Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>
>>>I have now looked more carefully at the setup_install.out results that
>>>are wrapped inside a tarball I attached to a previous post in this
>>>thread.  At the same time I have also looked at the resulting files in
>>>my cygwin install tree.  It turns out that because of errors the first
>>>install script created an empty /etc/fstab rather than the desired
>>>result and also was unable to create the /dev directory.
>>
>>The /dev directory is a pseudo-directory created on-the-fly by the
>>Cygwin DLL.
>
>I was really curious about the implications of that so had some further
>questions, but I am going to drop those questions because they are a
>distraction from the principal point I want to make.
>
>In sum, if any Cygwin developer here feels moved to help debug Wine so
>that the Cygwin install works properly on it, the best thing you could

I can only speak for this Cygwin developer but I have a long track
record of not wanting to involve myself in Cygwin and Wine interactions.
We stand on our head and do backflips in Cygwin code to get it to
emulate Linux behavior.  Having to do the same in another direction,
figuring out why something which works on multiple Windows platforms
does not work on a Windows emulator, is not something that I'm keen on
doing.

I'm just mentioning this in case you thought that since I have
sporadically been responding to this thread I might be interested in
joining in the discovery.  Unfortunately, I'm really not.

cgf