Re: compress / ncompress package for Cygwin

Hubert Garavel wrote:
For porting legacy software to Cygwin, the absence of compress is just annoying.
====
Why?

If gzip can uncompress it, you should switch to gzip or xz anyway, because
computers that you release software to are less likely to have compress
because
1) it was encumbered
2) it's a POS  --

	not as good compression in time or space as even gzip if I remember,
I know that even bzip2 beat it in compression (space)... xz/7z which are even
better for space/uncompress speed weren't even out when I tried it.

I found old sources for compress and ported it to work on my system -- and after
comparing it to the other compress algorithms, I was sadly unimpressed and
later deleted the binaries off my system so I wouldn't forget how bad it
was and accidently use them.

The patent was the nail in a bad coffin.