Re: What is wrong with SVN?

On 30/09/2013 13:08, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
David Stacey wrote:
Here are some ideas:

Firstly, check to see which versions of subversion, sqlite3 and cygwin you're using. Check the output of the following command, and if you're using older packages then try updating:

    $ cygcheck -c cygwin sqlite3 subversion
    Cygwin Package Information
    Package              Version        Status
    cygwin               1.7.25-1       OK
    sqlite3              3.7.17-3       OK
    subversion           1.8.3-1        OK

Same here (on XP 32)...

I have checked out the repo a second time, using the Cygwin packages listed above on Windows XP SP3. The operation completed successfully, checking out revision 203048. The operation took around 45 minutes.

Thirdly, if the database file is locked then that could point to an old version of sqlite3 (namely 3.7.12.1) clashing with another subversion client (e.g. TortoiseSVN), or some anti-virus software locking a file in the '.svn' directory (e.g. 'wc.db'). See if you can check out into an area of the drive that isn't being virus scanned.

For years I have the same AV (MSE) and I have used SVN without problems...

I think what you're seeing here is what we term a BLODA - some non-Cygwin application interfering with a Cygwin application. In your case, if you're not running a native Windows svn client then anti-virus is top of the suspect list. I know you claim that you have used MSE for years, but anti-virus tools update very frequently, and their behaviour can (and does) change. See the following link, under "File access problems":
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

Your best bet is to either disable or tune the anti-virus tool so that it doesn't scan the '.svn' directory inside your working copy. If you do this, does the check out complete successfully? If you are not able to try this, can you get svn to recover? Try these two commands in succession:

    $ svn cleanup <directory>
    $ svn update <directory>

Does the check out complete (or at least get a little further)?

I've taken a look at the cygcheck output that you attached and it seems to be OK. So unless anyone else on this list can provide further insight, it really looks as if a third party (probably your anti-virus) is locking the 'wc.db' file whilst svn is trying to update it - and there's not much we can do about that.

Cheers,

Dave.