Re: transfering cygwin configuration from win XP to win 7

I recently did this at work by backing up the C:\cygwin directory, my
Windows user profile directory and manually creating the directory
path C:\cygwin\etc\setup, then copying
C:\cygwin\etc\setup\installed.db to the new computer, running the
installer, and changing the install method from "Default" to
"Reinstall". Because my previous installed.db file is where the
installer would be looking for it, it thinks that all of the packages
I had installed are installed, so switching the install method to
reinstall, everything is reinstalled.

I pass 'winsymlinks' to the CYGWIN environment variable and create a
symlink from /cygwin/c/Documents and Settings/Chris Olin to
/home/colin and update /etc/passwd to point to the new home directory.
After recreating this symlink, it was just a matter of manually
copying over configuration files and directories back into my home
directory.