Long wait until SSH drops you to cygwin prompt...

We are having issues with users that are connecting to our cygwin ssh
server taking a long time to drop them to the prompt after login.

Example

I use putty from my windows environment and connect it prompts for
username and pw and then shows the message of last login and then sits
for about 2 mins or longer to actually drop me to the prompt in
cygwin.

Its like the hand off from the authentication to cygwin prompt is
getting caught somewhere in the process. This happens with people
using mac or windows, doesnt seem to matter.

Any ideas on this would be helpful..

Thanks

Troy