Re: Some first questions.

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 05:23:50PM +0100, Gert Koefoed Andersen wrote:
>Hello list.
>
>I have some first questions for cygwin works on windows 7 by compile sources
>I normally just fine compile on my linux systems but not like to compile
>well and by cygwin.
>The sources I trying to compile is been packed on linux with tar archiwing
>program so I can get the sources over to windows 7 and cygwin.
>
>So it is then this then.
>1. where is the best place to unpack the sources for compile by cygwin.

That isn't really a question that is answerable.  Make a directory and
extract the files to it.  No one can tell you the name of a directory to
use.

You can create a directory in your home directory or, e.g., create a
/usr/src/foo directory and extract files there.  It's entirely up to
you.

>   My windows cygwin is installed on c:\cygwin and by installing cygwin is
>the cygwin download sources been put at k:\cygwinsrc.
>2. if the extra sources is best to be places at k:\cygwin, then is it then
>best to handle them for cygwin ?

Cygwin doesn't use paths like c:\cygwin.  If your cygwin installation is
c:\cygwin then that means that is your root directory: /.  k:/cygwin
would be referenced, by Cygwin, as /cygdrive/k/cygwin.  It's ok if you
want to put files there but you should use the Cygwin method for referencing
this location.

>3. Then is it that - the sources have makefiles .cyg and other compilers +
>some main configs like Makefile and huskymak.cfg.
>When I have copied the file makefile.cyg to makefile.cfg and then have this
>file in the main home dir for example - \...\husky\smapi\ and then is got in
>to \smapi source dir and then run make to compile the sources for smapi goes
>it fine to I getting a error of gcc -mno-cygwin and then error 2 of it not
>can find some file it should make and when I checking out for the file is it
>where it should be by not compile to make a .o files for more compile
>finish.

-mno-cygwin is an ancient option that is no longer supported (it only
took me 10 years or so to get rid of it).  If you are building binaries
which don't use Cygwin then you should use a mingw compiler, installed
from setup.exe.  Or, you should just be using MinGW directly from
mingw.org.