Re: fork() and NT error 0xC0000135 (STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND)

On Oct 29 18:13, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] wrote:
> > platforms expect /bin and/or /usr/bin to be in your path
>
> I'm not following...  cygrunsrv.exe is started by Windows service controller,
> and then spawns the server binary.  There's no point in this sequence of actions
> to modify PATH.  I also believe, PATH is made compliant with what POSIX requirement
> by that very cygwin1.dll implicitly (and that happens when cygrunsrv gets launched,
> so cygwin1.dll figures out the CYGWIN "root" directory, then evaluates the path where
> to expect all other CYGWIN dlls).  For cygrunsrv, the server binary is specified as an
> absolute path with -p "/opt/path/to/bin/server.exe", which is within the rudimentary
> CYGWIN tree that also has "/bin" (rooted at some Windows directory, C:\Apps\CYGWIN).
>
> > Two points:
> >
> > - cygrunsrv adds /bin to $PATH before calling the service executable.
> >
> > - STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND does *not* imply that cygwin1.dll isn't found.
> >   It could be any other DLL required by the executable but not in $PATH.
> >

> Without chdir("/") fork() is able to succeed;  and the server binary does not
> depend on any other non-Windows DLLs that are not in the "/bin" CYGWIN directory.
>
> But with chdir("/") in place, if I insert (when manually simulating the very same
> failure from a limited user account) "C:\Apps\CYGWIN\bin" into Windows PATH before
> calling the server binary, it is able to fork successfully.  (Without the addition,
> it fails same way with the same error 0xC00000135 even when run interactively.)

Hmm, on second thought, this could be a problem in cygrunsrv.  I have
a hunch what the problem might be.

Are you running 32 or 64 bit Cygwin?  If that's ok with you, I'd PM
you an URL to a matching, patched cygrunsrv binary for testing.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat