Re: cygcheck -svc segfaults on Windows 8.1 with cygwin64

On Nov 19 22:51, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov 20 00:59, Andrey Repin wrote:
> > Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!
> >
> > > Why isn't there at least an additional non-manifest way to claim
> > > compatibility with the current OS? :(
> >
> > Because this "claim" is informational, or at least it should be.
>
> But apparently it isn't.  It's enforced.
>
> However, I just had an in-shower inspiration and following up on it
> I found a way to access the correct version info despite having no
> 8.1 manifest.  I'm still playing with it, but I think I have a working
> patch by tomorrow.

Patch checked in.  It was pretty simple, actually.  Rather than
GetVersionEx from kernel32.dll, just call RtlGetVersion from ntdll.dll.
It returns an OSVERSIONINFOEXW structure just as GetVersionExW, but
it's not tweaked according to the executable manifest, so the returned
info reflects the actual OS info.

Corinna

Red Hat