Re: vi stealing SYSTEM-owned permissions and ownership

Again, thanks for the input. I's now about three weeks later. I made all of my
students re-install Apache in:

/cygdrive/c/Apache2

and made them symlink this location on:

/usr/local/apache

For me, Achim Gratz's comment on the "Program Files" folder made perfect sense:

>If you are operating as a normal user on this folder, you aren't
>actually editing the files you think you see there, the whole contents
>is virtualized by UAC and redirected to your own personal copy on edit.
>If you want to keep your sanity, do not place anything that you intend
>to edit / change as a normal user into system directories on Win7 (that
>includes Cygwin itself).

I am also a software developer, and most of my releases are installed on MS Citrix
servers for remote desktop connections. I initially made the mistake to put all
files in the "Programs Files" folder, including the executable, the database and
configuration files (.ini).

This works fine on a stand-alone XP/Win7 PC, but in a Citrix environment this
crashes the application, because of lacking write permissions on the .ini files.
Then I found out about the "Application Data" folder. Releasing my database and .ini
files to that folder solved the problem. MS has an article about it:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj553522.aspx

This would mean that in order to install Windows native and avoid virtualization of
the conf files the Apache Group should release Apache for Windows into both "Program
Files" and "Application Data":

Program Files
-------------
bin